So I just moved into my new place. That meant I finally could set up the portion of my life that had been missing the last ten months of my life. During that time I felt like a man with no arms, one leg, 1/2 a nostril and no… uh… beer, yeah that’s it. That’s right I had done without home theater for far too long! Yeah, I’m a HT junkie.

So the new house allowed me to finally unpack my bestorageunited home theater system and get it set up… ready to rock! The only downside is my entirely too expensive Mitsubishi 65″ RSP Diamond Series HDTV was pretty retarded. It cost way too much to be plagued with the problems it has exhibited after being a scant four years old. Anyway… I had diagnosed the problem with the troublesome TV set before I put it in storage 11 months ago.

Now moving in forced me to break the TV down into two pieces just to get it up the friggin’ stairs. With it torn in two, now was the best time to fix that troubling problem. So here is a pic showing the first stage of the assault: the disemboweled TV.

tv01-small.JPG

The problem was this yeti-sized heat sink on the … ahem… motherboard (what do you call that on a TV? ). The chips in the heat sink had a loose connection to the board. In order for the connection to be made right (and, thus, my TV picture not resembe a POV shot from the character “Washout” in Hot Shots) the heat sink needed to be forced towards the back of the TV set. In this picture I am pointing in the direction that the mammoth heat sink needs to be forced.

tv02-small.JPG

So how could such a thing be accomplished? Before I had settled with jamming a great freaking stick through the front of the TV against the front face of that heat sink and laying a heavy object against the back side of the stick. This forced the heat sink in the right direction and kept the picture pretty.

But none of that ghetto fixing for me! This TV set was torn apart and it was high time I fixed this in a sophisticated manner! But what to do? Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words. So after doing extensive voltage checks under powered conditions, I formulated a plan. I stripped many tens of feet of small gauge solid core copper wire and painstakingly constructed a gossamer network of directionally reinforcing copper monofilaments. The picture is below. I apologize for the poor camera techniques, but I was elated and one-handed, once I provided the enthusiastic thumbs up.

tv03-small.JPG

What a work of art! I can tell you that TV doesn’t know what hit it. It’s worked flawlessly (something it hasn’t done in it’s last two years of service) since I did this Michelangeloesque fix. Let the Lord of the Rings marathons begin!